Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Indianapolis
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting closer to the closing date, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for your family. You’re likely pondering the many ways you should individualize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, be sure you give thought to home security as well. Keeping your loved ones shielded from harm should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Indianapolis.
Conduct a safety audit of your new Indianapolis property
Now that safety is front and center, find out what your new home has in terms of protection. First, make certain you have working smoke alarms. Try all of them and switch out batteries if needed. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also a perfect time to upgrade door locks and inspect all window locks. Go through each room and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Indianapolis home
Once you’ve done your initial inspection of safety devices and locking systems, you should think about elevating your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Indianapolis.
- Install a new home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Indianapolis can do is integrate a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your residence even when you’re away. You may scan up-to-the-second video feeds, operate entry locks, and even talk to visitors at your door directly from your mobile device. You may custom-tailor your system with worthwhile security implements such as surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Update outdoor lighting. Exterior lights with motion detection are a smart approach in deterring potential burglars. You can even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. When a motion detector is set off, it can tell your video equipment to begin recording.
- Keep your premises nicely groomed. Can you easily see all of your property from inside? Are there overgrown shrubs and trees blocking your view? Eliminate possible places to hide by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will appreciate it as well.
- Make friends with folks in your community. One more thing about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friendly with people around you, there’s a greater probability they’ll let you know if they detect suspicious activity. You may also connect to your area’s social media group if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re on site by illuminating smart light bulbs at scheduled moments. This is a fantastic tool when you’re at work or on vacation.