Can your smart home become hacked in Indianapolis? The short answer is "rarely”. A smart home plan from a leading provider like Vivint incorporates high-level encryption and additional cybersecurity safeguards to prevent a breach of your system. Only a few advanced online offenders with an abundance of time, patience, and luck will have any chance at success. Wrongdoers typically prey on low-hanging fruit that's easy and a home security system isn't typically on an experienced criminal’s to-do list.
How Vivint safeguards you from smart home hackers in Indianapolis
Vivint makes installing your home security and home automation components effortless due to the benefits of wireless technology. With that in mind, the lack of wired connections can lead to a bit more apprehension about your home’s online security. Luckily, Vivint systems utilize proven safety measures that help thwart a hacker. The ensuing are some examples of how Vivint deters criminal activity:
● High-level encryption standards: Technically, 1024-bit encryption could be circumvented, but it would need an abundance of time and effort to solve. The vast majority of cyber criminals wouldn’t devote the time, energy, and money to take on this level of encryption.
● Disguise your IP address:It’s certainly challenging to hack what you are unable to detect. Vivint attempts to keep your smart home private by shielding your IP address to anyone outside of your network.
● Frequent updates: Your home security equipment should strive to be one step ahead of the hackers by frequently releasing patches and updates to firmware and software.
Tips to safeguard your Indianapolis smart home from becoming hacked
Although Vivint gives you state-of-the-art systems that are equipped with effective security measures, your day-to-day habits are vitally important to keep your smart home well defended.
● Strong passwords are essential: Be certain to create a hard-to-crack password for your router and mobile security app. An unpredictable sequence of characters are a smarter choice than using an easy-to-remember password. As a general rule, the longer it is, the harder it is to crack. You also should plan to replace your passwords per a set schedule.
● Never disclose your passwords: Always keep your security app and Wi-Fi passwords private. In the event you have to give someone other than a family member a PIN for your smart locking system, assign a a limited time access code. Your neighbors or friends will be allowed to go into your home as needed, and then will no longer be afforded entry after the code expires.
● Inspect your settings frequently: You may be the initial person to discover a problem with your home’s security. When sensing an abnormality, check your smart home setup on your smartphone app or smart hub. If your settings are different, switch out your passwords immediately.
Enjoy a secure smart home from Vivint today!
The most effective measure to ensure the safety of your smart home is to go with a company like Vivint. Our devices utilize innovative cyber-security features which means they are hard and time consuming to hack. Just call (317) 978-5706 or submit the following form to talk with our Vivint experts and customize your secure smart home.